Pages


January 16, 2013

Drugstore Brands & Animal Testing

I am not an extreme animal rights activist or environmentalist, but I try to be mindful in my everyday choices, as I do believe those choices add up. One of those choices has been using less makeup and using toiletries and makeup that is not tested on animals and that is organic.

Sometimes, like the differing varieties voluntary simplicity and minimalism, your particular lifestyle may not allow you to be as animal or environmentally friendly as you would like to be. However, often times. we are so used to our routines that we are not aware of the implications of our actions. It is a very human behavior, but one that can be changed.

One are in which we can change is how much we are willing to sacrifice for the outward appearance, such as clothing and beauty. While you may not be able to afford organic produce all the time (buying seasonal organic comes of cheaper, by the way) or not use a medication because animal testing is required so that humans don't suffer (a lesser of two evils in our world), you can be mindful of your clothing, hygiene and beauty products.

I have already posted on organic and paraben free toiletries brands, which all do not test on animals. However, they can be quite pricey. Many high end department store make ups may not test on animals, but I certainly cannot afford it at the moment.

So, if you do not have access to the organic brands in my previous post, or if you need to get an item in a hurry, choose one of these drugstore brands that do not test on animals and refuse to ever purchase from those that still do. Please do not support the testing of makeup on animals for the price of vanity. Their suffering and captivity is not worth it. As a consumer, your choices influence companies actions. If you want to be even more direct, you can contact those brands and ask if they would consider stopping this behavior.

To find out other companies not listed, please click this PETA link and it will take you directly to a search page. The search also provides you with an address in case you want to write to the company. The site alspo provides a PDF list of companies who test and those who don't below courtesy of PETA.


Here is a quick list of drugstore companies that do not test.




Revlon

Almay
It is subsidiary company of Revlon

Wet N Wild
Their Megalast nail polish is my favorite because it really does last, and does not contain toluene or formaldehyde.Their lipsticks are not moisturizing enough, but their tinted balms are good. Their powders are very limited in tones, though the ones they have are spot on - they break me out, even the mineral powder and foundations. Their eyeshadows, liners and mascara are great quality for the price.

Milani:
The polishes are in great colors, though they do have chemicals that are not good for your skin and the environment. Their shadows and liners are also very nice in color.

Their makeup line breaks me out terribly. I have tried the foundation, concealer and powder, but no luck. I do have sensitive skin that gets blackhead and white heads easily, but the breakouts were beyond just a little clogging - I got painful cystic pimples.

I got cystic I have always loved this brand for its colorful nail polish and eye shadows. I tried a lip gloss by the brand at age 14 and fell in love. I am happy to learn that they don't test on animals.

E.L.F.:
I find their nail polishes, blushes and eyeshadows are very nice colors, but they don't stay on very long, so make sure you use a higher quality makeup and eyeshadow primer. Their eyeshadow primer burned my eyelids, but very sensitive skin here again. Their clarifying powder was terrible because it has talc and clogged my pores. The polishes don't contain harsh chemicals, but they don't last very long, so use a good topcoat.

Jane Cosmetics
I have only tried their eye liners, which are pretty long lasting. 

Say Yes to Carrots Brand:
Organic brand listed in my previous post. A little pricey.

Freeman Cosmetics:

Tresemme:
They have a low sulfate line now that is good, especially if you dye your hair, which I don't recommend unless you are going grey because dyes have harmful chemicals.
Burts Bees:
Organic brand in my previous post. A little pricey.

V05
White Rain:
Oldie, but goodie, but does contain sulfates.

Organix
 This shampoo and conditioner line works wonders for your hair and do not contain any sulfates. However, avoid the Brazilian therapy treatment because it has formadehyde and other harmful chemicals. Surprising, coming from a mainly organic brand, but if you research on Amazon you will see the full spectrum of harmful ingredients.

These very popular brands still test on animals:
Cover Girl
L'Oreal
Maybelline
Max Factor
Neutrogena (This really disappointed me because their foundation and powder are the only one that don not break me out.)
Rimmel 

I will add to this list as I come across other brands and do my research.

Be kind and compassionate, to yourself, to others and to the natural world.

Take care.

No comments: