Pages


June 26, 2013

Sythetic Fabrics + Being Compassionate


Why Most Synthetic Fabrics are Not Worth It

Synthetic fabrics are cheaper to produce and are sold cheaper at retail stores, but they cause a slew of allergies and do not even offer the protection that clothing should. For instance, I had a men's Forever 21 t-shirt that I altered and added a bit of scrap polyester chiffon. To avoid old clothing going to the landfill, especially synthetics that I had before I started being more sustainable, I often cut out the salvageable parts and use them for DIY projects. Well, the top part of was this dress was cool and comfortable as it is made from organic cotton, but the bottom half which was made from sheer polyester was unbearable. I have sensitive skin, and cannot wear synthetics, so even this softer chiffon itched my skin, and my legs were so sweaty as synthetics do not breathe. Additionally, the hem had a small snag and after one wear, the whole hem had begun to fray. This is a case where sometimes it is best to forgive yourself for your past ills and purchases, make a resolve to buy greener and not waste your time by just letting the item go.

I am not going to pretend that I am so spiritual that I do not like nice things. I appreciate beauty in nature and in all other forms, including man made. However, I have been trying to make an effort to make sure my appreciation of beauty does not impede on the needs of others or the natural world as a whole. I don't think fashion or beauty should harm nature or animals. Years ago, I de-cluttered most of the synthetic items in my wardrobe, and have tried my best not to buy anymore (except for exercise gear) because synthetics don't biodegrade well nor are they renewable. Acrylic, polyester and nylon are made of petroleum/oil, which is not renewable and like plastic bags, they can take decade to bio-degrade. Cotton, silk and rayon, though they have their share of ills, biodegrade much faster.

If you can buy organic cotton and silk, please do. I personally cannot afford much of those items as I am a student and un-employed, but I do purchase them when they are on sale or if I see them at a more affordable store. (Target sometimes has some great organic basic t-shirts for less than $20). So, I don't claim to be a saint and say that all my choices are cruelty free. I am aware of the in-humaneness of silk to silk worms and the environmental effects of producing cotton. However, I am very sensitive skin and can only wear cotton, silk and rayon (bamboo) am not useful to the world if my health is not well, and I also can't afford the other options at this time. I only use wool for outerwear as it irritates my skin. Rayon is part chemically produced, but it biodegrades even faster than cotton. I prefer rayon made from bamboo (tencel) or beech (modal) because it is more renewable and longer lasting, and they can be hand washed. Regular rayon looses its shape easily and requires dry cleaning, which also uses chemicals, weakens fabric and is an unnecessary expense. So, when choosing fabric, I try my best given my circumstances to make choices with the least impact. If there are suggestions of affordable organic clothing (under $30), please do tell.

For those who are on a budget like me, you might be tempted to buy cheaply, but while I don't necessarily look at brands, it is necessary to look at the quality of fabric. A bad quality fabric, such as polyester and acrylic, will not keep you cool in the summer or warm in the winter like silk, wool or pima cotton, and it will also not last as long as these fabrics. It is best to wait when quality items are on sale or to go to a discount store and purchase them there. I prefer not buy used items on eBay because I have often received bad quality items. Instead, I purchase new with tags or new without tags, and seal items from eBay or discount stores until they are washed as I once got bed bugs from a new discount store item.

For those who can buy more expensive items, also pay careful attention to the fabric. I see a lot of high end designers using synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylon, and I can't understand why people pay hundreds for them. Just check on Nordstrom or Net-a-Porter and you will see some items for 1000+ made of synthetics. I think that this is because polyester just outlasts cotton, but organic pima cotton can be bought for much less. So, if you can afford designer clothing, you can afford organic pima cotton or organic silk. I often go to these sites as I like the clean/minimalist lines of high end clothing as it looks more elegant and effortless and use them for inspiration for my DIY projects.

One synthetic that I do cheat with is faux leather. I have loved the look of leather since my early teens, but only buy used leather to avoid anymore animals being killed for it. When I do purchase leather items, I purchase synthetic leather because it requires less maintenance and it does not harm animals. However, the downside of this is that, cheap faux leather does not often last, which is why I don't often buy it. I have started buying higher quality faux leather fabric and trimming my items with it, such as the belt in the above dress, to give that edgy vibe to my look. If you like the look of leather and can afford it, a more expensive faux leather can last you decades.

There is no such thing as the perfect choice. This is something that the perfectionist person that I am has had a hard time coming to terms with. However, coming to terms with it has eased much of the anxiety and pressure I used to place on myself. I have learned that the best choice is the one you are able to make in that moment given your knowledge and circumstances. So, try to be ethical and mindful, but be compassionate not only to nature, but also to yourself.

Namaste.

No comments: