Pages


January 29, 2013

DIY project ideas to update Black Outfits


A makeup artist actually told me that the two colors I like to wear the most- black and burgundy/maroon washes my skin out a bit! She told me that I either have to wear very black, like velvet black or a warm maroon, or always have some warm colors near my face since I have warm undertones or or else my skin will look sallow. I am confused because other people have told me that I am olive toned or cool complected. So, these experts can't be counted on always.

I do agree that in pictures black and dull colors make me look washed out. I also know that there are many shades of black and burgundy/maroon, and I only look good in the deep, vivid shades that are like to colors of velvet. Any color experts out there, please feel free to enlighten me as to my undertone.

In any case, I am not about to discard my whole wardrobe, especially since black is a very versatile color to have for many circumstances, you can pare it with many items and wear over and over again, so you need less clothing, and it doesn't stain easily. 

However, sometimes a black t-shirt can or blouse can look too casual or boring, and maroon/burgundy can be too much red for some instances. One solution for these instances is to wear a white undershirt or blouse under a sweater or suit jacket.  However, I don't like wearing too much white as it stains easily, and is not good for the environment to be bleaching white shirts or discarding them every year. I have decided to donate most of my white items because of their high maintenance.

Instead, I was thinking of some DIY projects to add ivory, champagne or gold or lace, silk or velvet trim on my blouses. These colors highlight my warm skin tone. If you are cool skin toned, you can add trim in white or black trim. Here are some projects I was thinking about that are fairly simple since I don't have the time at the moment to do more advanced projects. I already have white and red lace and red velvet ribbon to do these trims. Be careful of going overboard on the white or ivory lace as you will either look like a maid or Japanese lolita (which is cut, but not what I'm personally going for).



DIY Trims - Gold & Ivory








DIY Trims - White





I would skip the bow, but keep all else.



Trim Ideas for Maroon/Burgundy Clothing











I have put red and burgundy trim in the past on my blouses, and while they look great for a goth or rockabilly concert, they are hard to match or not too classy for work or special occasion wear. I actually think it looks better to have a burgundy top with ivory or black trim as it's more versatile for different occasions, but you may feel differently.



No comments: